Tuesday 7 May 2019

7 inch single collection: A Girl Called Johnny - Hello It Isn't Me

Something from the 80's you've probably never heard of...

A Girl Called Johnny

A: Hello, It Isn't Me
B: Shallow
(10 1986)


Sorry, no YouTube or equivalent link for this, so you're just going to have to take my word for this one.

Regular readers of this blog (if such a thing existed) will know that this is all about feelings and memory - and I shun research for facts and figures to fill this bit up with some kind of vaguely readable text. Well dear reader, I failed miserably this time - largely because I really like this record and wanted to know more about this band, and if they released anything else.

Let me share with you what I found. There's a song by The Waterboys called "A Girl Called Johnny" (but I knew that already), and there are at least two other bands with the same name. All I could find out about this band was some information about this specific record on Discogs.com. The only new information on this are the names of the band members. All of which confirms my prejudices on bothering to do any research for this folly of mine.

I can see why I bought the record - look at that sleeve, an attractive, if slightly mood, young woman hugging a beautiful guitar. I'm sure many people would love to be the place of that guitar, and I'm sure just as many would like to be in her place - it is a very lovely guitar.

Coming back to the point - what does Hello, It Isn't Me sound like. It's got a vague 80's indiepop feel - without much of the attendant spikiness and misirablism. It's got a lightweight bounce that reminds me of the likes of Aztec Camera and Orange Juice. The singer, who according to Discogs, isn't called Johnny, but Fiona, has a lovely warm voice. the chorus builds assertively without being aggressive, which builds further still to an delicate but explosive instrumental break. The guitar sound, hopefully that lovely looking Gibson on show, has rich fuzzy undertone. The tom-toms in the background of the latter verses add an extra little something.

We turn over the platter and find a song called Shallow. This has strong start with a jangly descending intro which leads us into a strong beat. The vocal on this side is slightly harder and more insistent. It's the same band with the same kind of sound - but this side is different enough from the a-side to make it interesting and stand-out on it's own merit. In fact I think this could have easily been an a-side too. The chorus is the kind that makes you nod your head to it whilst shouting along.

This is not the greatest record in the world , but I like it very, very much indeed - if the band had made an album I would have gone hunting for it.  I wouldn't say you should go and hunt it down - but if you do get the chance to hear it, do so. I've still got both songs in head, and over the years both have popped up randomly, and unbidden, but always welcome.

Next time - some British guys play have a go at rock...

No comments:

Post a Comment